On Sale: 07/02/2019
Spend $49 and get FREE shipping on HC.com
We'd love you to buy this book, and hope you find this page convenient in locating a place of purchase.
Select a Bookseller - Direct Link to Buy
The broadest selection of online bookstores. The links will take you to the Web site's homepage. From there you can navigate to the title you are interested in.
Interest-specific online venues will often provide a book buying opportunity. Click here for a list of interest-specific sites grouped by category.
If you are located outside the U.S., the best way to order online is to choose from the following bookstores listed by region and country.
- ALA Notable Children’s Book
- Bank Street Children's Book Award
- California Young Reader Medal
- Charlie May Simon Book Award (Arkansas)
- Georgia Children’s Book Award
- Golden Archer Award (Wisconsin)
- Horn Book Fanfare
- Library of Congress Children’s Books
- Mark Twain Award (Missouri)
- Maud Hart Lovelace Book Award (Minnesota)
- Notable Children's Trade Book in the Field of Social Studies (NCSS/CBC)
- School Library Journal Best Book
- William Allen White Children's Book Award (Kansas)
From Newbery-winning author Betsy Byars comes a story full of "poignancy, perception, and humor" (The Chicago Tribune), about three foster kids who learn what it takes to make a family.
You can't always decide where life will take you—especially when you're a kid.
Carlie knows she's got no say in what happens to her. Stuck in a foster home with two other kids, Harvey and Thomas J, she's just a pinball being bounced from bumper to bumper. As soon as you get settled, somebody puts another coin in the machine and off you go again.
But against her will and her better judgment, Carlie and the boys become friends. And all three of them start to see that they can take control of their own lives.
- ISBN: 9780062881786
- ISBN 10: 0062881787
- Imprint: Lasixmedication
- On Sale: 07/02/2019
- Trimsize: 5.13 in (w) x 7.63 in (h) x 0.00 in (d)
- Pages: 144
- List Price: 6.99 USD
- Ages: 8 to 12
- BISAC1: JUVENILE FICTION / Family / Orphans & Foster Homes
- BISAC2: JUVENILE FICTION / Family / Adoption
- BISAC3: JUVENILE FICTION / Social Themes / Friendship
- Lexile® Measure: 600L